FAQ - Transit Connect - Pop Top Kit available?
We evaluated offering the Transit Connect Pop Top as a kit for Do-It-Yourself or for other shops to install some time ago, but decided it was not feasible.
Here’s what our thinking was:
- We have a crew of guys building them every week of the year (except Christmas) and we are pretty efficient.
- We have specialized jigs, custom tools and a hoist for conversions, and while not complex they are essential to do a quality installation in a reasonable time frame.
- To prepare everything but the final install is probably 70% of the work, so in terms of a cost savings by using your skills/time vs. our team. There isn't a huge savings potential.
- There is a significant cost that would be added due to the time to pack everything up and build a crate.
- The crate would need a forklift to be unloaded due to the size
- We have procedures for the install, but they are specific to our facility and equipment for trained employees, they are not intended as step by step instructions
- We are too small to have 24/7 availability for technical support about installation questions or issues.
- Our Ford campers have been reviewed by the Ford QVM program, and must be installed in a QVM audited facility.
Our conclusion was it’s easier to maintain our focus on offering conversions only in our facility (which is pretty standard for the conversion/RV industry.) We understand that this decision may impact interested customers that are a long way from our shop or located outside of North America.
We hope you'll consider a vacation to the west coast as a bonus part of the process