Transit Connect - Frequently Asked Questions
How tall is the Ford Transit Connect after conversion?
A completed Transit Connect Camper is 79" tall (6 feet 7 inches)
- Due to the design of the top, if rack mounts are added it will not change the total height.
- While rack mounts do not imact the total height, adding the rack and towers will add another 6" or more depending on components
- The stock Ford Transit Connect is 72" tall, our camper adds about 7 inches
- If the height of the camper is close to the maximum height of a garage, use caution as loading may impact height (fuel, passengers, cargo)
Does Ursa Minor offer swivel front seats as sometimes seen in Sprinters or old VW vans?
No, we are not able to provide this type of modification. The challenges to building a swivel seat are:
- The front compartment is tight, with a console between the seats blocking the rotation
- The seats have air bags, and the cables and connectors can not be modified to allow for rotation of the base
- The rotating base would have to meet crash protection standards, typically requiring a vendor that makes swivel components for other vehicles/seats (not Ursa Minor fabricating something up in the shop)
Is the Ford Transit Connect available in Four Wheel Driver or All Wheel Drive?
No, the Ford Transit Connect is only avalible in Front Wheel Drive.
- The new 2020 Transit (the "big" Ford van) will offer an AWD option. We do not currently have a pop-top that fits the Transit.
- The Transit Connect is based on a smaller unibody platform. Ford's thinking behind this design choice was to keep the load floor flat to maximize cargo loading for in-city courier and freight use. This low and flat floor makes it harder to add a drive shaft to the rear wheels. (Although Ford did offer the Focus RS in AWD and this vehicle shares some components with the Transit Connect...we've never seen a AWD Transit Connect)
- The ground clearance of the Transit Connect is low, and we are not aware of any lift kits
How big is the standing room area at the rear when the top is popped open?
The area at the rear is 40.75 inches wide x 26 inches long when both hatch panels are removed. The standing room varies due to the taper of the top, but ranges from 6 to 7 feet.
How big is the loft bed in the pop top?